I help companies solve brand and business problems.
My primary tools are consumer & competitive research, expert perspectives, collaborative workshops and elbow grease.
- Global research project for the Nike Brand Innovation Lab
- National research project on American attitudes toward immigration
- ROI analysis of a Formula 1 sponsorship
- B2B sales strategy for Google Cloud Platform
- Brand architecture for a national real estate company
- New product development for Chobani
- Digital innovation strategy for a P&G cosmetics company
Michael Hastings-Black is a business and brand strategist. His clients range from startups to F100 corporations.
Prior to consulting, Michael was in-house with Apple as a Creative Strategist. At Apple, he worked with both Sales and Product teams and lead a cultural and technological insights program.
A frequent speaker at universities on topics ranging from multicultural markets to digital innovation, Michael was a keynote at the Global Islamic Marketing Conference in Abu Dhabi and won the inaugural Power to the Pixel prize in London for an original transmedia property. His work has been covered by Vogue, The Washington Post, MSNBC, Ad Age, Fader and more. Before Apple, Michael co-founded and ran the content + strategy shop Desedo. Clients included HBO's True Blood, Panasonic and Coca-Cola.
And when fresh out college,Michael worked as an Urban Planner for the NYC Parks Department. He designed and managed a citywide volunteer program that helped communities get more trees and pocket parks.
Michael holds a BA in English from Bowdoin College and studied urban planning with M.I.T. while living in India, South Africa and Brazil.